In a lighthouse, the source of light is called the "lamp"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

In a lighthouse, the source of light is called the "lamp"

Post by jancancook on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:31 am

In a lighthouse, the source of light is called the "lamp" (whether electric or fueled by oil) and the concentration of the light is by the "lens" or "optic". Originally lit by open fires and later candles, the Argand hollow wick lamp and parabolic reflector was developed around 1781 in Europe. In the US, whale oil was used with solid wicks as the source of light, until the Argand parabolic reflector system was introduced around 1810 by Winslow Lewis. Colza oil replaced whale oil in the early 1850s, but US farmers' lack of interest in growing this caused the service to switch to lard oil in the mid 1850s. Kerosene started replacing lard oil in the 1870s and the service was finally totally converted by the late 1880s. Electricity and carbide (acetylene gas) started to replace kerosene around the turn of the 20th century.[1] The use of the latter was promoted by the DalÚn light, which automatically lit the lamp at nightfall and extinguished it at dawn.

nav jeevan hospital
Flooring Oakville

jancancook
Master of the Paranormal
Master of the Paranormal

Male
Number of posts : 468
Age : 31
Location : Viet Nam
Registration date : 2011-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum