GHOST: A Paranormal Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashmore Estates

3 posters

Go down

Ashmore Estates Empty Ashmore Estates

Post by Spookmeister Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:57 am

Hello, my name is Scott. I am the owner of Ashmore Estates, known as one of the most haunted places in Illinois. Located just outside of Ashmore (8 miles East of Charleston), Illinois. Ashmore Estates has long been known as a haunted place. Built in 1916 it was known then as the Coles County Almshouse located at the Coles County Poor Farm. Somewhere around 100 people have died in the building or in the previous two buildings on the grounds since 1870. As far as I have found, the reports of strange occurrences started during it's operation as a mental institution. It operated as such from 1956 to 1976. At that time it became a Intermediate Care Facility for the Developmentally Disabled (ICFDD). The facility closed in 1987 and has been uninhabited since then. The building was owned by Paul Swinford from 1976 through about 1989 when he turned it over to the county. Vandalization of the building started shortly after the building closed in 1987. The county did nothing to the building for the time it owned it and it sold at a tax auction in 1998 to a gentleman from a local town named Allenville. His desire for the building was to turn it into a residence. The vandals kept him from making much headway. The building is a local landmark and has been the site of many people's curiosity and scary night adventures. Most entered the property illegally without the owners permission. Police were often here doing raids because people were here (illegally) all of the time. I have spoken to many officers who have staked out Ashmore Estates over the years and they have some great stories.

I bought the building in July of 2006 with the intention of running my haunted attractions yearly in October in this well known location. I also wanted to give people access to the building in a way that the building could be maintained rather than desecrated. I did not know the history of this place but became very well acquainted with it's history. I have held flashlight tours, hosted paranormal investigations (13 as of April 4, 2008), investigated county records, heard personal testimonies of people acquainted with the buildings history, and did other research. The building and it's history are fascinating. I don't like to discuss what paranormal investigators have found here so that I don't spoil the researchers efforts to find their own evidence. I do want serious researchers to come to Ashmore Estates and enjoy a location that is not tainted. I invite groups of 2 or more to contact me (numbers and email are at Ashmore Estates Website. The building is large, about 15,000 square feet, three floors and can handle quite a few people for an investigation.

Information on staying the night in Ashmore Estates - May 24, 2008
Spookmeister
Spookmeister
Orb
Orb

Male
Number of posts : 5
Occupation : Website Designer, Graphic Artist, Haunted Attraction Owner, Haunted Building Owner, Tour Operator, A
Registration date : 2008-04-06

http://www.ashmoreestates.com

Back to top Go down

Ashmore Estates Empty Re: Ashmore Estates

Post by Syren Song Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the forums and thank you very much for all that information! I've personally read up on Ashmore a little from that website. Its history is a good explanation for all the activity that appears to go on there. I'm very thankful that you have opened this wonderful building up to the public to allow investigations to take place and for those curious about it to experience it for themselves.

The DuPage Paranormal Society (A.K.A. DPS) as well as my own paranormal team, Ghost Hunters of Startling Truth (A.K.A. GHoST) plan on holding a joint investigation at Ashmore Estates in the summer. I believe you've heard from Donn already from DPS. If you would like us to contact you as well, we have a Case Manager, who on here is known as Oswego_Bob, who can speak with you a little more and who will relay the information onto us team leaders (Tony/onenitedrive and myself).

I look forward to seeing Ashmore Estates and having the opportunity to stay over night this summer!
Syren Song
Syren Song
Admin
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 727
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://w1ngs0fate.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spookmeister Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Would love to have your group(s) come do an investigation. Don may have contacted me but no formal plans have been made by that name. Will await your case managers contact about this. Every group that has investigated here has left with satisfying evidence. Hope to see you all here this summer.
Scott
www.ashmoreestates.net

Ashmore Estates PICT1880_smallAshmore Estates Pict0015_smallAshmore Estates Nurses_station_smallAshmore Estates 2fl_hall_smallAshmore Estates PICT1988_small
More Photos at: Ashmore Estates Photo Gallery
Spookmeister
Spookmeister
Orb
Orb

Male
Occupation : Website Designer, Graphic Artist, Haunted Attraction Owner, Haunted Building Owner, Tour Operator, A

Back to top Go down

Post by Donn_DPS Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:11 pm

How are you? Nope, no formal plans have been made yet. Still workin' out some of the details and seeing if we can determine an accurate head count.

Donn McCarthy
Donn_DPS
Donn_DPS
Corporeal Ghost
Corporeal Ghost

Male
Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2008-03-10

http://www.dupageparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spookmeister Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Donn,
It was via my checking on visitors to AE's site that I found this forum - so I guess thanks are in order. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.
Thanks
Spookmeister
Spookmeister
Orb
Orb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spookmeister Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Donn,
You may check our calendar for available time slots at: http://www.ashmoreestates.net/calendar
Spookmeister
Spookmeister
Orb
Orb

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down